so… I’ve had an outrageous number of new followers this week! hi, new followers! I suspect you are here because of this post, which has gone viral again despite being two years old. in that case, I have bad news for you. that post is a super accurate introduction to me and to my blog. wacky demonology facts are about as cool as it gets around here. IT DOESN’T GET BETTER.
(I didn’t source that post because I didn’t expect it to go viral and in the context of my blog that day I’d already mentioned, but I was liveblogging The Encyclopedia of Demons and Demonology by Rosemary Ellen Guiley*, as you do. yeah, that’s a real thing that’s really in the historical record; I did not make it up.)
anyway, hi, I’m Jo! I live in eastern Kentucky and before that I lived in New York. I like cult tv, wine, punk hair, YA fiction, folk music, Wikipedia at 3am, and Halloween. I am currently convalescing from being super extra crazy, and I don’t feel too great about that, so that’s a thing. my hobbies include teaching myself to drive a moped and learning how to enjoy hobbies again. I sleep on a couch surrounded by stacks of ufology texts and empty coffee mugs, which, uh. I also have feelings about mental illness and about class issues and about Jesus, but often find these difficult to articulate. my big thing used to be being interested in everything but I am now having to re-learn that. I’m studying to be an actual for real folklorist, but until I can afford school that means “READ EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME AND EAVESDROP ON PUBLIC TRANSIT”.
I am really not scary at all but sometimes forget to answer messages BUT YOU SHOULD SAY HI ANYWAY, FEEL FREE TO COMMENT ON ANYTHING OR ASK MY OPINION OR WHATEVER, I GENUINELY CARE. I also try to tag consistently and for all obvious phobias &ct and am always willing to tag something for you. also, hi.
* who I am going to see do a talk on murder-victim ghosts of West Virginia at the Mothman Festival in September, I AM NOT JOKING I AM ACTUALLY THE BIGGEST CREEPIEST NERD THERE IS
cute first date ideas: investigating paranormal cases across the united states and uncovering a major government conspiracy to hide the truth about the existence of extraterrestrials
Tag! You’re it!!Once you get this, you have to share five random facts about yourself. Then share this with 10 of your favorite followers.
oh boy, let’s see—
- as an adolescent I taught myself Tolkien’s Sindarin Elvish and had a a decent understanding of Quenya. I spent the summers I was thirteen and fourteen going through every Tolkien book ever published, handwriting pages and pages of notes until I had compiled every single recorded Sindarin word and its root word, and eventually compiled a full dictionary, with basic lessons in grammar and sentence structure. it is still online. to this day I have yet to accomplish anything geekier than that, and to be honest, I’m kind of stunned by my drive and initiative and wonder where it came from and how I can get it back.
- I’ve met a fair amount of “celebrities”, but they are almost all bluegrass and folk musicians, so most people don’t know who they are or care, but it meant a lot to me. (and they were household names in my house!) Bela Fleck is a shy sweetheart though, and his then-not-yet wife Abigail Washburn is a delight.
- I was almost definitely conceived in a tent, possibly at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. possibly in Durango. my parents enjoy talking about this until I turn scarlet and flee the room.
- Dichen Lachman has listened to one of my original songs.
- my chin is permanently crooked from crashing my bicycle into a pole to avoid plummeting into traffic once when my brakes unexpectedly gave out as I was going down a hill. it was my first ever day at my first ever job, so I spent it with my chin swollen to three times its size and covered in band-aids and some impressive bruising.
at least one person (probably zombres) tagged me in the “post a screenshot of your desktop” meme, and as you can see, my desktop is literally the least surprising thing ever.